I have been wanting to get rid of the twins' binkies all summer, but with vacations, illness, and company coming into town there hasn't been an ideal time (like there ever is for getting rid of binkies!). I decided last week was the week! I let the twins have them at naptime on Monday and when they got up I confiscated them. I clipped the very tips off, so that there was still something to suck on. I was just going to clip a little more off every few days until there was nothing left. (We did this with Caroline, and she sucked on it until there was nothing left and then finally decided to throw it away.)
When the twins asked for their binkies, I popped one of Reagan's "new" binkies into her mouth and she took it out and just looked at it. She then started laughing and threw it on the floor. She asked for another binky and I gaver her another one and she threw it on the floor, too.
The next 24 hours involved some fun conversations with the twins:
Luke (looking at his binky): It's broken Mommy! Get me another!
I get him another one.
Luke: That's broken, too! Get me one of Reagan's!
I get him one of Reagan's.
Luke: Reagan's are broken, too!
Reagan: All Broke!
Luke (looking very forlorn): My binkies are broken. I'm sorry! I need a new one!
Me: They are all broken.
Luke: I can't go night-night. (I was so impressed that he knew he would have a hard time sleeping without it! I was also feeling like the worst Mommy ever!)
Me: Do you want me to throw them away?
Luke: Yes, I don't want my binkies.
Luke was crying and Rich asked him: Do you want your binkies?
Luke replies: I don't want broken binkies. I want nice binkies, but no more nice binkies.
Reagan asks me: Binkies?
Me: No, they are all broken.
Reagan: Go buy some more!
After a couple of days, things got better. They stopped asking for their binkies. I noticed that Luke had a hard time getting to sleep at first and Reagan had a hard time going back to sleep if she woke up in the middle of the night. Luke has stopped napping all together and Reagan takes one every couple of days. I still put them down for "quiet time," so I can get some things done, but I am not sure how long this will last! At least we have this one out of the way!
5 comments:
Good work, Jen! :) Poor twinsies! But that was a great way to ease them off. Ella was the same way for a while- hard time falling asleep, woke up at night- but she is now back to normal and just every once in a while remimds us that she is a "big girl now, not need pacis!" :)
When I did that with Jonathan, he kept coming up with ones that had been lost. All those times I had to buy another one, and he knew where they were. I would just take the scissors to them as he came up with more. Kenny needs to give up his bottle...
What a fabulous idea--I may have to borrow it for Bella. She's addicted to having 2 binkies at once; one to suck and one to hold! I'm really in trouble!
I Love this! Love how they just laughed at it! I finally took Reagan's away because she hit her top teeth and they were a tiny bit wiggly and no way was I letting her pop in a binky. So after 1 day of no binky, Mike told her it was lost so I just went with it. Every once in a while she asks where it is, if it's still lost and says she needs a new one but for the most part it's forgotten. Yea! And the nap went away too! And we're getting big girl beds this week and Reagan started using the potty. All at the same time! Not what I intended but oh well.
Congratulations! Oh, we were so there last spring- my twins wouldn't accept a "broken binki" either (tip cut off). And they asked for the back-ups, and to go to Walmart to buy more. It does make you feel so sad in the moment. But it's worth it!
Post a Comment