Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mother/Daughter Book Club

A couple of my friends organized a mother/daughter book club for our 1st and 2nd grade daughters. This was a brilliant idea! Caroline was so excited. She even told me that now we would be able to spend even more time together! We will meet once a month. When it is our turn to host, Caroline gets to choose the book the group will read. We are signed up for September, but have yet to select the book we will be reading. For this first meeting, the girls were asked to bring 2-3 of their favorite books to share with the other girls. Caroline chose Grimms' Fairy Tales, Skippyjohn Jones, and Chrysanthemum.

Caroline has loved Fairy Tales for as long as I can remember. In our Maple Valley Library, she knew exactly where to find them and we checked them out repeatedly. She told the girls the reason she likes "Skippyjohn Jones" is because her mom reads them to her with a Spanish accent. Chrysanthemum is written by one of our favorite authors, Kevin Henkes. We had a great time and look forward to next month. We are going to be reading " The Boxcar Children." A first for both of us!

5 comments:

Kara said...

Hopefully you will share your spanish accent with the rest of us when we discuss that book! :)

Hillfivesome said...

It will be a first for Paige and I to reading the Boxcar children.

gmckibbe said...

What a fun idea! I've never heard of a book club for moms and daughters. Is this with school friends or church friends?

Tracy Giles said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait until Lily and I can join a book club.

Alexis said...

What a great idea! We love Skiipyjohn Jones, too and look forward to sharing it with the twins!