Well, where should I start? I guess I should start back on Feb. 27th when Luke woke up with croup, so I get him into the doctor on that Friday. To make a long story short, he needed 3 rounds of steroids before the strider cough/breathing was cleared up. That following Thursday Reagan woke up with a terrible, nasty cold. Her nose was so runny. She would wake up with dried green "scabs" (sorry to gross you out!) around her nose. She started running a fever and I took her into the doctor because she was playing with her ears. Of course, nothing was wrong. Well, the cold just seemed to plateau, and finally on Monday ( Mar 16), she started acting like her old self again-jabbering, being more active, etc. I am thinking that after 2 weeks of this cold, we are finally in the clear. On Monday night, she started in with a dry cough that kept her awake and she was gagging she was coughing so hard. Last night was worse. I was running the humidifier, giving her things to drink, etc. I called the pediatrician and she wanted to see Reagan. That is when the fun started!
I guess I should preface this day with the fact that I am running on about 3-4 hours of sleep. :0) I was trying to get everyone ready with the possibility we would need to run Reagan to the doctor before taking Caroline to school at 11:55. The doctor's office doesn't open until 8:30. I get everyone fed and the babies bathed before 8:30. Luckily they want to see us at 10:30. I am thinking that I have plenty of time to get us there and we actually did okay, but in the rush of getting everyone ready, I leave the breakfast dishes in the sink and I haven't even cleaned up the high chairs and the trashcan is sitting up on a chair by the table so I can throw away the banana peels, napkins, etc. away. We get out of the doctor's office by 11:02. I guess this is when all the fun began. I drop Reagan's prescription off at Wal-greens at 11:15, get everyone home and inside the house to feed Caroline a quick lunch before taking her to school. She starts eating at 11:25. In the process of eating she is complaining that her loose tooth on the bottom is hurting. It has been loose forever and I check it and it is barely hanging there. I am thinking that I need to pull that tooth before school, so it doesn't happen there and disrupt her class. She is freaking out, thinking that it is going to hurt and all the drama that goes with it. I get her tooth pulled and she is excited! Well, in the craziness of trying to pull the tooth at 11:40 I look over and see that the twins have knocked over the trash can and they are smearing banana peels on the floor and playing in the trash! (Total Mom of the year Moment!) I get them cleaned up throw everyone in the car. We get Caroline to school at 11:57 which is better than I thought and I rush over to get the prescription at Wal-greens. ON the way home both of the babies are fussing because they are exhausted and this is their nap time. I get Reagan in the house and I go out and get Lukey and he has had a blow-out which requires his second bath of the day! They need lunch and a nap and I am thinking this would be a good drinkin' day ( that is, if I did drink). :0)
I finally get them fed and down for a nap and I am sitting here looking at the disaster area that my home now is and I am ready to cry! I am not writing this post to feel sorry for myself, but I thought writing this down would be cathartic and provide some humor for the few readers out there! I am really okay. I guess what is keeping me going is that tonight is Enrichment night at the church and Rich gets to stay home with the kiddos. :0)
5 comments:
All I know is that in that type of situation you handled it with a lot more grace and finesse than I would have. I probably would have had some kind of melt down right then and there WITH the kids!
well, all I can say, is that I can relate! we are kindred spirits, Jen. the bad news is there are many more days like that headed your way. just take any chance you get to have a break.
in a few months (maybe even years), you will be laughing at this day...just like I am.
You're a great mom, Jen! That's why you were blessed with a beautiful energetic daughter and her twin siblings!!!
I had a similar experience 3 weeks ago. Emma was home sick on Mon. (Laundry day), got everyone ready to head for the Dr. that morning. The drain hose to the washer came out of the wall and flooded the laundry room and the hall. Went to get the Shop-vac out of the garage. When I returned, the boys were wallowing in it. Definitely needed a CALGON moment. I feel your pain! {{HUGS!}}
oh wow- thanks for the perspective. My "one of those days" just doesn't seem so bad. And now I can brace myself for one of these days like you just described! You are a powerhouse!
Post a Comment